Frank T. Mazur and his wife Helen, along with their two small sons Frank and Steve, purchased the Berger family’s feed store and chicken hatchery in 1952 with the dream of one day opening a funeral home there. That dream was realized in December of 1957, when the Frank T. Mazur Funeral Home opened for business and had its first funeral.
Steve Mazur, after graduating from Bloomsburg University with a bachelor’s in education in 1974 and working as a substitute teacher, decided to follow in his father’s footsteps, attending Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, NY and graduating in 1976. He was followed into the business by his younger brother Thomas Mazur, who also attended Simmons and graduated in 1980.
In 2005 Mazur’s Funeral home undertook its most ambitious expansion in its history: the construction of our new funeral home at 601 Dundaff St. Though Frank T. Mazur had been instrumental in the planning of the new funeral home he did not live to see the groundbreaking for the new funeral home, passing on December 3rd, 2004. Frank left the business to his sons Steve and Tom.
More recently Steve’s son, Frank Thomas Mazur II, decided to follow in his father’s and grandfather’s footsteps and go into the family business. Frank graduated in 2010 from Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA and is currently licensed.
We moved into our new funeral home at 601 Dundaff St. in May of 2007.